Friday, June 18, 2021

2021 #9: The Midnight Library (Haig)

 

The Midnight LibraryThe Midnight Library by Matt Haig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars





**** SPOILER ALERT*****

I wanted this to be a five-star rating after hearing so many good things about it. I found myself charmed by the premise, but ultimately it didn't really go where I thought it could/should, although the take-away "moral" of the story is a good one. I would have preferred that Nora actually LIVE the different lives, not just visit them--meaning I think it would have been a more creative endeavor if she wasn't cognizant of being in a parallel existence. I do understand that the cognizance was necessary for her learning (and for the end to work out), and maybe that's part of it. But from a purely literary point-of-view, I grew bored with the story of Nora trying to figure out who she was in this or that life, although, as I said, the allegory is not lost on me.

The book has an important message to share, and as all good fiction does, it asks the reader to situate themselves if the shoes of the protagonist. Perhaps what is most important is thinking about suicide and all the many factors that can influence a person's actions and how we are so often just bystanders to the struggle of others.

View all my reviews

No comments: