Thursday, September 15, 2022

2022 #29 The Good Turn (McTiernan) - Cormac Reilly #3

 

The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)The Good Turn by Dervla McTiernan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It feels like McTiernan has found her path with this series. I enjoyed the two-location parallel storylines and delving in more deeply to Peter Fisher's character. There's a lot to like and relate to in this particular story, and I'd rather have more of Peter and Cormac's relationship development than Cormac and Emma's, frankly.

The weakest plot point for me came in the Fisher storyline. There was too long a gap between when it was obvious who the murderer was and when Peter finally got it. I was sort of hoping the gap meant I was wrong and was going to be surprised by some huge plot twist, but...alas, no.

A better balance here of character development and police procedural, and it solves/addresses some of the unanswered questions about Cormac's situation in the previous books. It speaks well of the book that it probably would stand alone ok without reading the others in the series, but is more enriching if you have! Aoife McMahon really is a very talented reader, so heartily recommend the audiobook (although as I've noted before...sometimes her male characters aren't well differentiated by voice).

View all my reviews

No comments: