Monday, January 18, 2021

2021 #2 The Clan of the Cave Bear (Auel)

 

The Clan of the Cave BearThe Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took a bit for me to get into this one, but once it became centered on Ayla and her journey/growth, I became engrossed. The book engages with Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal anthropology without hitting you over the head with it, although certain moments are fairly obvious. The paternalism of the clan is rather disagreeable for modern sensibilities, but I don't think it is supposed to be otherwise (and it is likely accurate from an anthro perspective). Auel's descriptive writing is excellent and there were moments where you forget that woolly mammoths no longer walk the earth. I found the explanation of the clan's language truly artful and well developed and it isn't a far leap to realize that, at least historically, gesture and dance were more rooted in language than speech.

I'm glad I finally read this classic and look forward to The Valley of Horses.

View all my reviews

No comments: