Wednesday, June 22, 2022

2022 # 8 Oracle (Pyper)

 

OracleOracle by Andrew Pyper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm relatively new to the audiobook world, so I don't totally trust my objectivity, but this really grew on me. It was free to me on Audible so I figured, what the heck. I was a big fan of Joshua Jackson from Fringe and it seemed like he might work here as the protagonist. Nate Russo. Even the name seems like a Jackson-type character.

He doesn't disappoint and his vocal characterizations are quite good for the most part, even extending into the evil supernatural. I liked that the story opens by situating us in the past, and Pyper does a good job of connecting all the dots with a slow burn. That said, I found the ending disappointing on a few fronts, especially in terms of the "whodunnit"--that character was too convenient to the story. But there are subplots a-plenty -- Russo's unrequited love interest (more interesting because it is a reflection on both his damage AND his ethics that it hums along quietly in the background rather than being a major plot device), Russo's relationship with his family and his older brother, etc. His interaction with the two FBI agents was truly enjoyable, and Russo makes a great character who struggles with his "gift" (and rightfully so) but is fundamentally a decent human being who is trying to help children.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected and was excited to see that there was a sequel. I listened to the preview on Audible and was surprised to hear a full cast and music. It is actually a serial podcast, so essentially a radio play. That's a very different medium, it turns out--even the use of foley and music changes the experience (not unlike a book with illustrations). I'm not sure I'll listen, but the story looks like it will holdup for the sequel, so I'm tempted...

It truly is a good blend of the sort-of detective "noir" classic tale meets supernatural, and Jackson sells the character really well.


View all my reviews

No comments: