Monday, February 6, 2023

2023 #4 Serpentine (His Dark Materials 3.6) - Pullman

 

Serpentine (His Dark Materials, #3.6)Serpentine by Philip Pullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this, but it occupies a strange space. I don't think it works as a short story unless you know His Dark Materials. The illustrations by Tom Duxbury made it worth buying it in book form as a collectible. It is a bit of a stepping stone from the last book of His Dark Materials to The Book of Dust, wherein Lyra and Pantalaimon are reunited and trying to forge their new path forward. I wanted this as part of a larger story however, so that tension of not knowing what it was like in the events that transpired in The Amber Spyglass (this is my way of avoiding spoilers), would further character development in a way it could only do in novel form. Still, a charming read, and a lovely little vignette of two favorite characters.

View all my reviews

No comments: