Saturday, January 6, 2024

2024 #1: The City of Last Chances (Tchaikovksy)

 

City of Last ChancesCity of Last Chances by Adrian Tchaikovsky


This review does not include a rating because, frankly, there are long gaps in my experience of the book due to the fact that I could not engage wholeheartedly with the audiobook for some reason. I don't think this is a problem with the book itself, but I think there are certain stories I don't process well via audio book. I had a similar problem with Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver, and I'm starting to think detailed histories narrated by actors with British accents are an issue for me. Perhaps I'm watching too many British mysteries so that my mind lulls into complacency or something. At any rate, I do have some thoughts.

First, David Thorpe is a fantastic narrator, and my inability to stay focused on the story is no fault of Mr. Thorpe. The variety of characterizations, accents, and affects he was able to produce was astounding. The book is absolutely epic, and even with my occasional lapses of attention, several characters stood out. The city of Ilmar is under the control of the Palleseen and there's enough there to keep anyone interested and entertained, but the narration often reflects multiple points of view, bouncing back and forth between characters to provide a multi-dimensional view of events. I can say that the "God" character was a favorite, as were Blackmane, Maestro Ivarn Ostravar, Langrice, and even Yasnic (more toward the end of the book). I don't think I've ever read a fantasy book that had traces of Umberto Eco, Italo Calvino, and I don't know what---some sort of noir, I guess.

Anyway, suffice it to say, I enjoyed enough of it that I'll be buying it in print so that I reread it with full attention. The witticisms and Tchaikovsky's gifts of world-making are exceptional.

View all my reviews

No comments: