Saturday, January 20, 2024

2024 #3: A Murder of Crows - Nell Ward #1 - (Yarwood-Lovett)

 

A Murder of Crows (Nell Ward, #1)A Murder of Crows by Sarah Yarwood-Lovett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't be sure, but I think this is my first "eco-mystery"--and yes, I'm definitely here for the subgenre. Reminiscent of the late Lyn Hamilton's Lara McClintoch series (in that case, an archeologist, not an ecologist), this first book of the Nell Ward series is very promising. Yarwood-Lovett is not just an armchair ecologist, and boasts an impressive bio, including re-discovering a British species thought to be extinct and giving evidence as an expert witness. I particularly appreciated that the end of the book featured some notes explaining the actual ecology behind some of the plot devices.

The mystery itself is quite entertaining, and Kristin Atherton's reading of the characters on the audiobook is phenomenal. There were two main drawbacks: 1) one of the people in the frame we know cannot be in the frame, and 2) one of the people in the frame is the obvious choice. I won't say more, but motives are not surprising here, but means get a bit far-fetched. My only other main criticism is of Nell herself, but I have high hopes that the issues will be resolved in the next books in the series. In order to understand Nell's backstory, she is presented as a rather insecure individual (with legitimate reason, due to a past trauma), and while brilliant and competent as an ecologist, she seemed incredibly doubting and self-deprecating when it came to possible romantic partnerings. By the end of the book we are given hope that the situation will change, but I grew weary of her constant inner dialogue of self-doubt.

The plot has a healthy supply of twists and turns, but nothing very shocking or out of left field. Ecology is a sleuthing field, so it makes a lovely partner to the mystery genre. I'll be looking forward to continuing the series!

View all my reviews

No comments: