Wednesday, August 17, 2022

2022 #25 The Visit (Adichie)

 

The Visit (Black Stars #1)The Visit by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As is true of anything, this short story will land differently with different readers. Going in, however, you need to know that it is dystopic (but not by much), and definitely satirical (not funny, but satirical). I didn't read it as a condemnation of matriarchy, but I can see how the role reversal might not sit well even with those sympathetic to the message of the book. On that front, I didn't feel it did enough--it was too simple and binary. That said, I think it teases out some important issues and lays bare how much goes unsaid in our legislation and the assumptions that shape governmental power. And while the general gist might seem a bit binary, the characters are interesting and kept me engaged.

View all my reviews

No comments: