Tuesday, July 21, 2026

2026 #21 Whistler (Patchett)

 

WhistlerWhistler by Ann Patchett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, my streak of crying at some point during an Ann Patchett novel continues unabated. This one, however, snuck up on me. It is what I would call a "quiet book." There's a plot, but it comes in pieces as a recollected narrative. There's also a very mild plot that takes place in the present, but as plots go, it is less important. I would also like to say God Bless Ann Patchett for NOT giving us an epilogue. Some readers will want one, and the book sets it up, but we get instead, what to my mind was the perfect ending.

If you've read any blurbs or reviews, you know that the book is not about a horse, but don't worry -- the horse is significant as a metaphor. There were a few places where I felt the narrative dragged a bit and the relationship between Daphne and Eddie seemed strange and maybe even questionable, initially, until the backstory starts filling in. As a character, Daphne seemed a bit idealized to me at times, but I also think I'm slightly envious of her hardiness (both as a child and as an adult).

Like most of Ann Patchett's novels, this is a very human story, and the author gets out of the way of her characters and let's them tell us what we need to know, when we need to know it. I highly recommend it for those favoring reflection and character growth. If you are lucky enough (as I am) to have a beautiful relationship with a step-parent, you will probably very much enjoy this book. If, however, you've had a troubled or terrible relationship with a step-parent (particularly a stepfather), I'd recommend passing on this one if that relationship has traumatized you.


View all my reviews

Challenges on Storygraph (@rebcamuse):
2026 Reading Goals 21/60
#192030 Challenge:2026

No comments: