Tuesday, August 13, 2024

2024 #30 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Shaffer/Barrows)

 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a charming little book. There are moments where it reaches beyond charming, but the depth is so momentary that it hard to hold on to it. I found myself wanting more from Juliet and her voyage of discovery, particularly when it came to Elizabeth. The various inhabitants of Guernsey are colorful and fun, although some of the characters felt a tad overwritten in some cases (e.g. Adelaide). I liked the epistolary mode more than I thought I would, and the length of the letters is well-considered.

The subtext is important, however. Narratives from war are always important, and Guernsey provides a glimpse (sadly, only that) into the many dimensions and complications of being occupied and occupying. Included too are the more well-known horrors of WWII, but we have hardly a moment to process that before we are back to the lighthearted eccentricities of the Literary Society. The uneven-ness made me feel as thought I couldn't quite commit emotionally to the story. Juliet herself is also partially to blame for that -- she is clearly clever, smart, and has great ability for compassion and empathy, but her behavior toward two of the male characters grated on me. All that said, this is a lovely beach read, with moments of pathos and moments of laughter, and it is delightful if not particularly robust.

View all my reviews

No comments: