Friday, October 4, 2024

2024 #39 A Court of Thorns and Roses (Maas)

 

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Definitely an entertaining ride, with some interesting world-building. I found myself enjoying the evil characters the most, or at least the "good" ones who had an edge to their personality (like Lucien and Alis, and even Night Court guy*). Feyre reminds me a bit of Lyra from Pullman's His Dark Materials series, but her pendulum swinging between totally trusting and ferociously suspicious started to wear me down.

Some of it felt a bit cliché, capitalizing on well-worn tropes of snobby sisters**, high fae and various curses. Tamlin's curse was WAY too specific and seemed to function as a scapegoat for the plot. I got tired of the reliance on glamours. And while I know the genre has its fans of the bodice-ripping passionate scenes, that's really not my thing. Particularly when they walk a VERY fine line when it comes to consent. 

I was mildly annoyed at the naming of the puka/pooka (audiobook, sorry) --- that's what you call a cute furry animal, not an evil thing.

I am glad I checked it out because I have so many friends who really loved it. I might even check out the next in the series because there are certain characters I'd love to see again. Ikeda's reading was quite solid and engaging.

*Disadvantage of the audiobook --- I have to look up spellings. Unfortunately, when I looked up Feyre, I got a major spoiler (although it became obvious before it actuallyhappens in the narrative), so I am not looking up how to spell "Reese/Rhys?" Hence, Night Court guy.

**Yes, I know that one takes an interesting turn, but I was so annoyed by her character I didn't care by the time we got there.

View all my reviews

No comments: