The Guest Lecture by Martin RikerMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Given that I assume Martin Riker is not a middle-aged perimenopausal female academic, I'm not quite sure how he so perfectly nailed my insomniac anxieties, but wow! I'm going to guess that the premise--the middle-of-the-night mental meanderings of a recently-denied-tenure economics professor--isn't going to appeal to everyone, but the book is fascinating. "Meanderings" isn't quite accurate either. Abigail starts out with the best of intentions to practice using "loci" as she directs her imagination to move through each room of her house as she consults John Maynard Keynes (the topic of her talk the next day) on each part of the talk she is to deliver. These conversations with the imaginary Keynes are absolutely delightful. Even with such a wise and thoughtful companion, however, Abigail's life-worries start to creep in, disrupting her focus and derailing her ability to compartmentalize (literally, in terms of the "loci" practice).
What was not expected and ended up feeling rather eerie given its top-tier relevance to my own profession, was an abundance of references to contemporary music! And not just the usual headliners either (John Cage, etc), but Susie Ibarra, Pamela Z, Mary Jane Leach...and many more. I can't remember how I learned about this book, but now I'm thinking one of my music colleagues must have recommended it. I even wrote down some names new to me! Riker's name-dropping is partially to fill out Evelyn, one of the characters we meet as Abigail's insomniac journey expands backward into her past, but it still came as a total surprise in a book I figured would be fairly economics-centric.
A side effect of all of this is that my long-sleeping interests in International Relations (when I briefly toyed with the idea of double majoring in college) were awakened, at least inasmuch as Riker (through Abigail) illuminates Keynes as both "creative improvisational human" and "institutional symbol of unchecked government expenditure that history has made him." (22%) At one point, Abigail beautifully captures the joy of reading Keynes's essays:
"...but I read them despite wrongness, despite datedness, for the voice of the person writing. His voice, his astuteness and humor, his crabbiness, the life in his voice, his way of seeing and thinking about the world that was not just in the ideas or claims or arguments but in the way the voice thought, the way the thought turned..." (58% Chapter 9)
Take THAT ChatGPT summaries! Be still my historian's primary-source-loving heart.
Part III is when Abigail's mind really lets loose--not so much as a hamster spinning on a wheel, but more like a rat running through a maze. She knows she needs to find the exit, but she takes the most circuitous route possible in getting there. While I enjoyed some of it, at times it started to feel a bit tedious.
I cannot say that I've read any book like this, and if you tried to summarize the "plot" for me, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. It seems quirky, but then you realize it really isn't (unless you are some rare soul who has never laid awake at night with your anxieties keeping you company). Mileage will definitely vary with this one, but for me, it was one of the best reading experiences I've had this year.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment