Wednesday, September 30, 2026

2026 #34 The Mirror of Her Dreams - Mordant's Need #1 (Donaldson)

 

The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need, #1)The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It is rather epic world building, but I just didn't love Terisa (late 1980s sensibilities or lack thereof notwithstanding). I wanted to see Geraden through someone else's eyes, and I came away not really understanding King Joyse's motivations. And "spice" is fine, but older creepy womanizers "claiming" young women (while they sleep, no less) is not sexy and pretty gross. For me, the most interesting character was Adept Havelock. The premise of mirrors and "translation" is terrific, but I'm not sure I was engaged enough to read the second in the series. If I happen upon it, I probably will read it, because I am curious and the first book ends without conclusion.

View all my reviews

2026 Reading Goals 34/60
#192030 Challenge: 1986
TYPTBR 16/18

No comments: